ExcelDashboardWidgets

Helping you create stunning dashboards in Microsoft Excel including dials, speedometers, thermometers, and much more...

Discussion related to the black art of dashboard design..

Moderator: DashboardWidgets

By glail
Hi, firstly I would like the opportunity to say how good a service this is.

I am after a bespoke dashboard that would look like the attachment I sent . I don't think this type of graphic is available in Excel, I would also have all the data behind it.

Do you have any suggestions?
Lettings Dashboard.jpg
(100.34 KiB) Downloaded 521 times
By DashboardWidgets
Hi Glail

It shouldn't be too much of a problem. However in order to help you out we need to have a greater understanding of what the widget is and what it needs to do. From looking at the picture we are assuming..

1. There is a database list of properties
2. Each property is scored for performance (x-axis) and cost (y-axis) based on 6 categories

If you could provide us with a little more information (and some raw data) we would be happy to give this a go!

Cheers

ExcelDashboardWidgets
By glail
Many thanks for the prompt response and thanks for agreeing to give this a go.

I have enclosed a spread sheet with some raw data, we would have the following data in the format enclosed so just needed a dashboard to illustrate this. I have used 6 categories but it would be good if I had the ability to have more than 6 and change the cost/performance scores and quartiles so it could be used for other data.

The dashboard does not have to be how I have illustrated it and can be in any format as long as I can show the results.

Please let me know if you need anything else from me.

Once again I really appreciate the service you are offering and please let me know if you need a testimonial.
Attachments
(60.85 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
By glail
Yes this is fantastic and exactly what I was after.

Would there be an option to change and edit the data as I notice it is all linked. Also If I wanted to add the fields would this just be copy and paste.

Many Thanks for your help so far.
By DashboardWidgets
Yes, the idea is that you can enter data into the configuration cells on the first tab and the widget updates automatically. You shouldn't need to touch the calculations tab (unless you want to change the upper and lower limits of the quadrants).

There are currently six field in the XY graph - however you can add as many as you like.

Hope this helps - feel free to get in touch if you need more clarification.

Cheers

DashboardWidgets
By glail
Thanks, when I re-enter the data the widget does change however all the other figures change also. Is this due to the fact the figures have been converted to percentages which will cause all the other figures to change.
By DashboardWidgets
Hi Glail

At the end of the day this widget is a simply XY graph superimposed on top of a graphic with 4 quadrants.

Currently have 6 categories with different quartile lower, median, and upper ranges. To be able to plot everything onto the same XY graph you need a common scale - hence we've opted to convert all the values into percentage scales.

An alternative approach could be to overlay six XY graphs on top of each other with numeric scales.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

DashboardWidgets
By glail
Hi, yes I totally understand and it works fine as long as I enter the data manually.

I am a bit stuck on adding additional categories other than the 1-6. I have copied and pasted the data entry on the dashboard and configuration paste however the new sections do not show on the Dashboard.

Also how can I edit the rectangles and text, just want to make it slightly different.

I really do appreciate your help. Your service is 1st Class.
By DashboardWidgets
Hi Glail

This should help you out...

1. Select the XY chart by clicking it twice.

2. On the ribbon select DESIGN > SELECT DATA. You should see the following..
Glail Step #1.jpg
3. You'll see the 6 categories (labelled 1-6). If you like you can use EDIT to see where the data is coming from.

4. Click ADD to add a 7th category. A dialog box will ask you for the cells that contain the new X and Y values.
Glail Step #2.jpg
5. You'll notice that a new category has been added to the graph - however this new data point has no label and needs formatting identical to the others.

6. Right-click on the new data point and select FORMAT DATA SERIES

7. Under MARKER OPTIONS choose the SQUARE option and increase the size to 15pt

8. Under MARKER FILL choose SOLID FILL > WHITE

9. Under LINE COLOR choose SOLID LINE > BLUE

10. Under SHADOW choose a BOTTOM RIGHT OFFSET > 10pt.
Glail Step #3.jpg
11. Now we need to add the data label. Right-click the data point and choose ADD DATA LABELS. The right-click again and choose FORMAT DATA LABELS. Choose SERIES NAME and CENTER.
Glail Step #4.jpg
This should help you out a little - if you need more assistance feel free to track us down.

Cheers

DashboardWidgets

Download and try for free!